Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Machine Quilting Without a Longarm Machine-One Method

Wow-I can't believe how long it has been since I last posted anything. Life does get in the way of our plans and goals! Now that I have had my machine serviced I am making progress and have finally finished the machine quilting on all 4 sections of the quilt.
As promised, I will explain how I am joining these together. I can't take credit for this idea--it was taught to me by a good friend and fabulous quilter.
This method requires a little extra backing fabric. I cut strips 2 and 1/2 inches wide the width of the fabric. For this quilt, I only needed 4 of these. One strip was needed to join the top 2 sections together, one for the 2 bottom sections, and I sewed to strips to make a long one to sew the top and bottom halves together. The strips are then folded in half lengthwise and pressed, as you would binding strips.
Next, I trimmed off the excess backing and batting and squared of the edges.
At this point, I placed the 2 top sections right sides together and one of the prepared strips on top, all raw edges together and sewed through all layers with a 1/4 in seam.
Last step--I opened this up and stitched (hand sewing) the creased edge to the back of the quilt, taking care not to sew through to the front of the quilt.
Ta da!!
I can't wait to get this quilt bound and in the mail. I think sometimes that the binding is my 2nd favorite part of quilting because it means I have actually finished!
Happy 4th of July to all Americans and happy July to everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment